Templeton is a census-designated place (CDP) in San Luis Obispo County, California. The population was 7,674 at the 2010 census, up from 4,687 at the 2000 census. Templeton is located within the former Rancho Paso de Robles Mexican land grant and was founded in 1886 when Chauney Hatch Phillips of the West Coast Land Company sent R.R. Harris to survey 160 acres (0.65 km2) set aside for a town to exist south of Paso Robles as part of the companies larger purchase of 63,000 acres (250 km2). This 160 acres (0.65 km2) was to be laid out in business and residential lots with 5–12 acre parcels, with the town to be named “Crocker” after a Vice President of the Southern Pacific Railroad, Charles F. Crocker, however, Crocker instead chose to name the town “Templeton,” the name of his 2-year-old son. Templeton, is a small, fast growing, rural town. It has added dwelling units faster since 1990 than any other community in the county (a 63% increase), with developments competing for prime land with vineyards.
Find Your Way Around Templeton